A Facebook photo of the club on fire Friday afternoon. No one was reported injured.
A popular community center, the Kāwhia Sports Club, was destroyed by fire on Friday.
Kāwhia Community Board Chairman Dave Walsh said the fire happened around 3 p.m.
“The club is gone, she’s exhausted.”
No one was injured and there were no clues yet as to the cause of the fire at the facilities owned by the Otorohanga District Council, Walsh said.
“It’s a real loss.
The facility was the site of many community activities, he said.
“It’s been used for a lot of things around town,” like weddings, funerals, balls and exercise classes for retirees.
* Blaze destroys rugby club halls in the small community of Waikato
* Blaze destroys Kaitāia’s former bowling club, now used as a home
* Teenager arrested after Mangatainoka stand was razed by fire
There were food and drink evenings one evening a week, while the club was also used to watch major rugby matches on television.
“It was a real community hub,” Walsh said.
He hoped that the insurance would at least cover some of the loss and help see another establishment established.
Walsh credited the local Kāwhia Volunteer Fire Department for extinguishing the blaze.
“They are fantastic.”