The Sam’s Club store in Vestal’s Town Square shopping center was evacuated following a water main rupture that resulted in a ruptured natural gas line.
The incident at the Vestal Parkway East store happened around 10:45 a.m. Monday.
Units of the Vestal Fire Department and the Volunteer Rescue Brigade were dispatched to the scene.
Vestal Fire Chief John Paffie said a water line inside the store burst and soaked in insulation. This in turn resulted in a ruptured gas line.
Water was seen flowing from an elevated section in the southeast corner of the store. There was a smell of natural gas outside the store.
NYSEG teams were called to the scene to assess the situation.
Vestal Police Lt. Christopher Streno said around 10 people had been assessed for possible symptoms related to inhaling natural gas. He said he believed three of them were taken to hospitals. No status information was available.
Water was collecting on the store floor near the main entrance. Water also spilled into the parking lot adjacent to the store.
Store employees told potential buyers the business is closed until further notice. NewsChannel 34 reported that a sign posted at the entrance said the store would be closed for the remainder of the day.
Sam’s Club headquarters did not respond to a request for information on the extent of the damage or when the store would resume operations.
Contact WNBF News reporter Bob Joseph: email@example.com.
For the latest news and updates on story development, follow @BinghamtonNow on Twitter.
Inside Amazon: A Detailed History of America’s Largest Online Retailer
WATCH: The history of food since you were born
America’s 50 Most Popular Chain Restaurants
YouGov surveyed the nation’s most popular restaurant brands and Stacker compiled the list to give readers context on the results. Read on to browse the vast and diverse variety of American restaurants. Maybe you’ll even find a favorite or two.